Our Life Along THE WAY...

Jesus said to him, “I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. No one comes to the Father except through Me.John 14:6

Monday, February 6, 2012

Whittier, AK

When we ported in Whittier, Alaska I have to admit I was a bit scared. It was about -10 degress out, the wind was blowing about 40-50 mph (so it felt a lot colder), and it was a complete white out. It was like we were stepping out into a whole new world. There is only one road out of the port and it led right to a tunnel in the mountain. The tunnel is only one lane and is about 5 miles long so you have to wait about 30mins if you miss the light. As we were sitting at the light waiting to go through the tunnel we watched a man walking outside wearing what you think you would see in Antartica (Big full coat with fur hood). He was barely able to walk because of the wind blowing so hard and I really started to wonder what we got ourselves into. It was a real wake up call to the adventure that was ahead. Needless to say I started praying really hard that we didn't have an accident or get a flat tire on our way to Anchorage :) It was about 50 miles to Anchorage and the roads were covered in snow. We made it in good time though and felt a huge sigh of relief once we arrived. We had the car winterized in Anchorage so we stayed the night in the Sheraton...big change from the ferry!
Most of these pictures were taken through the window of a car


























Fixing to head into the tunnel
Whittier
Snow everywhere
Pulling out of the ferry

1 comment:

Deidre said...

I would have had an axiety attack going through the tunnel...I don't do well with long tunnels. I blame it on the fact that I had to travel the gorge on I-40 to go to school along with every other semi-truck in traveling east/west beside me. :)