Our Life Along THE WAY...

Jesus said to him, “I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. No one comes to the Father except through Me.John 14:6

Friday, January 6, 2012

Alaska Part IV: The real McCoy


If you missed the last few posts you might want to catch up with Intro to Alaska, Alaska Part II, and Alaska Part III. Gosh, you would think after ALL that confirmation that we would be solid in our decision, no turning back, no second guessing. But that wasn't the case. When in the situation it is so hard to grasp what God is doing. Do we trust ourselves to make the right decision, or for that matter, do we trust God to lead us down the right path? The question of moving to Alaska was settled, but we kept tripping over the how/when/where/why. How were we going to get there, when would we leave, where would we go, why are we even going? Now, looking back and reading over our journal at all God did to bring peace and confirmation it seems crazy that we ever doubted. Even still I have moments of fear, moments of thinking we are crazy (which we are), moments where I think all this was just a fluke. And then peace floods in and I remember who I serve, a God who promises to never leave us or forsake us, a God who says He has a future and a hope for my family, a God who says call to Me and I will answer and show you great and mighty things.
SO, after applying for the job at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, we waited...and waited...and waited (ok it was probably only about 3 weeks but it felt like an eternity). Let me tell you waiting is NOT easy. I can't remember the exact date but Zac and I were traveling to Shelby to see his family. We were a little frustrated and discouraged and we started talking about Alaska and saying how we just wish we knew what we were supposed to do. I would say about 5 mins later my phone rang. "It's ALASKA" I said to Zac. That phone call led to a trip to Fairbanks, Alaska completely paid for by the hospital. The Lord let us "spy out the land" before making our decision to move. What a huge weight off of our shoulders to be able to visit Fairbanks before we made our decision to move (where was our faith?). Not only that but there is no way we could have afforded to go on our own, so having the hospital cover the cost was a tremendous blessing.
We arrived in Fairbanks on friday Dec 2nd and left tues Dec 6th. Immediately when we stepped off the airplane at the Fairbanks airport Zac had a huge grin on his face and said "I already love it". Cold and snow are two of his favorite things. We had three full days to visit and see Fairbanks. I was scheduled to have an interview on monday Dec 3rd with the nursing supervisor, the manager, and 3-4 staff nurses. I was a little nervous and had been praying for favor. On the day before the interview the weather was super bizarre for that time of year, it actually got in the 40s with misty rain. So over night things turned super icy and they actually closed school (they never close school in fairbanks, not even when its -50). Needless to say no one but the nursing supervisor could make it in for the interview (somehow I made it though?) so I didn't really have an interview (Praise the Lord!) well I had one over Skype weeks prior where I just got to ask tons of questions. There was never the grueling interview questions that everyone dreads. She just gave me a tour of the hospital, asked if I had any questions, said they wouldn't have flown me up there if they weren't interested and that they would call in a few days (with an official job offer).
And here we are...selling all of our things, packing up and moving to Fairbanks, Alaska. Moving in the winter is not exactly ideal but we know God has a plan. Because it is winter there is really only one way to get there safely and that is drive across the country and board the ferry in Bellingham, WA (well we could have all flown and shipped our stuff but it was even more expensive). Zac will drive with his brother and Avery and I will fly to Seattle, WA so he doesn't have to be in a car for 8 days. All we are taking is our Toyota Rav4 with a 5x8 foot uhaul trailer (not much fits in a 5x8 trailer). Just the ferry costs alone were around 4,100$ and they charge by foot so you could imagine if we had a huge uhaul with all of our stuff. We will be on the ferry from Jan 20th to Jan 25th. We will dock in Whittier, Alaska and then drive to Anchorage to have our car winterized before driving the 400 miles to Fairbanks.
I admit it is scary even now thinking about everything: the financial costs, the long journey, the weather, and all the unkowns we will encounter along the way....BUT we expect to see great and mighty things as we seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness!

3 comments:

Deidre said...

Bekah I am so excited for you all! I cannot wait to see what God has in store for you and your family once you arrive in Alaska!!! My prayers will be with you as you prepare and travel.

Leahmia said...

Faith is so pleasing to the Lord! May you each be blessed as you pray and obey :) Avery is being trained as each of us are, and he'll be all the more equipped to travel and follow the Lord's leading as he watches you and Zac! So excited for you guys- your journey sounds amazing, and I can't wait to hear how the Lord moves in and around you all as you go!

Jenn Sutton said...

Oh wow. Excited for you! Brave of you to make this step of faith! :)